FOOD LICENSE FAQs
1) What is FSSAI all about?
- Decentralization of licensing for food products.
- Simple and easy issue of license with time frame of 1 month.
- No license is required for small FBOs but registration is mandatory.
- This act assures safety of consumer and ensures full compensation to victim in case of injury or death.
2) Who is the regulatory authority under the food act in India?
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India and State Food Authorities are responsible for implementation and enforcement of FSSA, 2006.
3) Why should I get FSSAI license?
There is a high degree of consumer confidence in safety and quality of food.
- It helps promote innovation in food products.
- It helps remove numerous regulations.
- It facilitates trade without compromising consumer safety.
4) What are FSSAI’s responsibilities?
Laying down science based standards for articles of food.
- Regulate manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import of food.
- Facilitate food safety.
5) How to apply for FSSAI registration?
Please refer https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in
6) What are the documents required for FSSAI registration?
Photo Identity of Promoters of the Food Business.
- Evidence of possession of premises (Rental Agreement/Utility Bill).
- Partnership Deed/Memorandum of Association/Certificate of Incorporation/Articles of Association.
- A list of manufactured or processed or stored food products.
- Food safety management system plan.
- Signed and completed Form-B in case of State/Central license.
- Signed and completed Form-A in case of registration.
- A person to be nominated in the prescribed form for food quality perspective.
- Payment of the prescribed fees.
7) What is the procedure to apply for a State/Central License?
Before applying check the eligibility criteria as mentioned above.
- Upload / furnish the application form for obtaining the FSSAI License.
- Generic names for the products must be mentioned and not the brand names.
- Choose the appropriate period of time for the license.
- Post-filing / upload the form, the prescribed fees have to be paid either through an online portal or by submitting the demand draft to the authorities.
8) What are the available online payment options?
The available options are draft, credit card, online banking.
9) If I apply online, will I get my license faster than if I apply by mail or in person?
Procedure will remain the same.
10) What is the maximum penalty for breach of regulations related to the labeling of food items?
It is up to 10 lakhs.